Samsung announced the S Pen Pro alongside the Galaxy Z Fold 3 back in 2021. Since then, we’ve seen the Galaxy Z Fold 4, the Galaxy Z Fold 5, the Galaxy S23 Ultra, and the Galaxy Tab S9 series. Since then, the company has kept making the same S Pen Pro, S Pen, and the S Pen Fold Edition alongside the new devices, and Samsung even bundled the stylus alongside some of the new smartphones and tablets to entice users into upgrading and purchasing the next-generation smartphones and tablets. In this guide, we compare the S Pen Pro against the S Pen and mention the new S Pen Fold Edition. We’ll show you the differences and list compatible devices to help you pick your next stylus.
Samsung S Pen Pro vs S Pen: Design
Samsung Galaxy S Pen Pro and S Pen Fold Edition
The design of the two styluses is pretty similar. It’s hard to distinguish which one is which without looking at it. Both are made out of premium materials and are very light. The S Pen comes in various colors that match the design and color scheme of the Galaxy S series devices.
The S Pen Fold Edition used to come in a single color, black. However, Samsung changed its tactic, and during the Galaxy Z Fold 5 announcement, the company unveiled a new stylus slimmer than the previous generation that was sold alongside the Z Fold 4 and older models. The new S Pen Fold is available in three colors that match the Fold 5 and the Slim S Pen Case, and it’s available in Icy Blue, Phantom Black, or Cream colors.
In contrast, the S Pen Pro is only available in black and comes in a case that lets you carry it around.
Samsung S Pen Pro vs S Pen: Features
The S Pen Pro offers the same functionality as a regular S Pen, but it also has a few more benefits thanks to its more advanced hardware and a larger battery built into the device.
S Pen Pro:
- It weighs 14 grams
- It has a battery life of 16 days, and it can charge up to complete in 50 minutes.
- It can charge through the USB-C port at the top of it
- It can use Bluetooth control gestures and support the latest functionality. It can also copy and paste between two supported devices (All devices must be logged into the same Samsung account)
- It can switch between two frequencies (there’s a dedicated switch), making it suitable to work with more devices, not just the Galaxy Z Fold series.
- It’s ideal for casual S Pen users who take notes, draw, and do other work with the stylus and require it daily.
- You can use the SmartThings app to bring up the location information of the S Pen Pro, helping you track it down
- It weighs 4.47 grams and has a dimension of 6.7 x 130.4 x 5.5 mm
- The pen tip measures 0.7mm
- It has a pressure sensor level of 4,096
- It supports Air Commands/Gestures, and you can hover on the screen and use the button to trigger a wide variety of actions
Samsung S Pen Pro vs S Pen: Compatibility & Support
The Samsung S Pen Pro is compatible with all smartphones, tablets, and laptops that support the original S Pen stylus input. Remember that the Air Actions are only supported when the S Pen Pro is used on compatible devices. Here’s the list of devices that support the S Pen Pro:
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 5G
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 5G
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G
- Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
- Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
- Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
- Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Series
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Series
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 Series
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 Series
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 Series
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Series
- Samsung Galaxy Book 2 Pro 360, Book 2 360, Book Pro 360, Book 360, Book Flex & Book Flex 2
- Samsung One UI 3.1 or later & S Pen Pro requires charging and pairing to use Air Actions.
Which should you buy: Samsung S Pen Pro vs S Pen?
The S Pen Pro remains available for $99.99 in the US, and it continues supporting new and existing devices, even some of which are a few years old. The new Galaxy Z Fold series of devices are also compatible with the Galaxy S Pen Fold Edition, and these are either sold separately or bundled with Samsung-made cases that let you store the stylus securely with the device.
Samsung S Pen Pro
If you’re looking for a stylus that will support all the features, you should go with the official Samsung S Pen. It supports the latest Galaxy S, Galaxy Z Fold, and Galaxy Tab S series and selected Galaxy laptops.
Samsung Slim S-Pen (Galaxy Z Fold 5)
The Samsung Slim S-Pen case is the best first-party accessory for the Fold 5. It comes with the new thin and light S Pen, and the case protects the phone from scratches and dents. It’s available in several colorful designs and feels great in the hand.
It’s worth remembering that traditional S Pen (the ones that come with the Galaxy S23 Ultra) aren’t supported on the Galaxy Z Fold series of smartphones, and those will require the S Pen Fold Edition to work. Users can find replacement S Pen styluses on Amazon and at Samsung, and the tips can also be changed to ensure that tracking and input remain clear and recognizable.
If you want to up your stylus game and take notes, draw on your compatible tablet, foldable, or smartphone. The Samsung S Pen Pro offers all the functionality, features, and benefits you can take advantage of. It also has a long battery life, and a full charge only takes 50 minutes via the USB-C port. If you’re after a compatible case that can store the S Pen Fold Edition, you might be interested in these cases for the Galaxy Z Fold 5.